Saturday, April 14, 2012

Good Nutrition, knitting and my bump

Nutrition can be a touchy topic, with everyone having their own very specific viewpoint on what is good for them and their family. As many of you may know, we believe in a fairly primal diet - limiting our grains - emphasis on bone broths from grass fed animals, grass fed meats, wild seafood, good fats (coconut oil, grass fed butter and cream) and lots of organic fruit and vegetables. 

I have experienced all types of nutritional theories - growing up with an Italian mother and a vegetarian father. I even experimented with vegetarianism myself for a short time, however ended up loosingtoo much weight (dropped to 46kg) and had absolutely no energy. 

I know many vegetarians and vegans and while I respect their decision, I believe that our bodies need meat and bone broths and so on - its just the way we are built. 

I also just finished reading Wheat Belly - fascinating read

~

LOVELY LINKS for weekend reading 


forget expensive (often chemical ridden) cosmetic to get that healthy glow - Gelatin is a wonder food! 
I buy mine here and we add it to everything - smoothies, jelly, stews - its great to use instead of cornflour to thicken a gravy/ sauce. 

I will post my mum's recipe for home made jelly over the weekend, with no sugar other than the whole fruit you choose. We enjoyed rockmelon and passionfruit last night with lots of grass fed mud cream! YUM



~

A reader recently asked me about the lacto fermented Ketchup I made a while ago. 
I found this great video and thought that I would share it. I think the key to a delicious homemade ketchup would be making the tomato paste yourself.

As Jenny mentions in the video - never use tinned tomatoes - as most of the cans are lined with BPA and the acidity in the tomatoes leaches this toxic substance. 
Always buy your tomatoes or passata in a glass jar. 


If you get a moment to watch or read any of the above, please pop back and share your thoughts with us.

Now to some knitting......

A finished sock! The other is on the needles and hoping to finish it off tonight. 
Then onto some leg warmers. 


And my growing tummy.....

Almost 29 weeks - here is my baby bump and a bit of a shocked face!


I am currently working on a 'Learn to Sew' post, another request from a reader. This will really start at the basics and what you need to get started. If you have any ideas of things you would like included, please leave a comment or email you - I'd love to hear from you. 

Happy weekending!

2 comments:

  1. Your baby bumpy is absolutely glorious! You look fantastic, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Natalie. I've just found your lovely blog here. I'm so happy that you will run a "learn to sew" post. I'm about to start my sewing journey and I need all the help I can get! Thanks. Nicole x

    PS. Lovely baby bump

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...