Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Tree of Life" Coconut Macaroons


Polynesians, who eat coconut and coconut oil every day, call it the 'Tree of Life'.
Excerpt from 'real food: what to eat and why' by Nina Planck (real food activist and creator of the first farmers' markets in London)


Coconut....... Its oh so delicious and seriously good for you. Packed full of lauric acid which is antiviral, antibacterial and very beneficial in fighting infection. 

This is my version of a recipe from my wonderful Naturopath, Anthia Koullouros from OVVIO Organics.  

8-9 egg whites from organic pastured chickens (make sure you keep the yolks and use in a quiche/ scrambled eggs/ raw milk smoothie)
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
(1 tablespoon marmalade - optional - I love the flavour this gives them)
enough organic desiccated coconut to bind the mixture

Mix the egg whites with the sugar (& marmalade) until soft peaks form, then stir in desiccated coconut. Roll into balls and bake in low oven (120'C) until lightly coloured.

So nice warm from the oven and equally yummy cold. I store in a glass jar and keep on the bench top for say a week (if they haven't been eaten before that).


6 comments:

  1. Hello Natalie, I just made these delicious macaroons but don't tho k I put enough coconut in. How much approximately would you normally use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon, If you used 8-9 egg whites I would say close to 650grams. You need to press and squeeze mixture in your hands to make the balls - you don't want mix too sloppy or too dry. good luck :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Natalie,
    What am I doing wrong? I've made these twice now and the first time I didn't put enough coconut in and now they seem too dry when cooked, however when I was making them into balls they were quite moist;-( please help xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ange, So sorry for the late reply. Hmmm i'm not really sure. When I roll mine, the mixture is quite wet and you have to give them a good squeeze in the palm of your hand to get them to hold. If they are too dry, try not cooking for as long, they don't need to be brown to be cooked - I just like mine that way - crunchy outside and soft inside.

      If you have the patience, give them another go and let me know.
      Natalie x

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Natalie,
    What am I doing wrong? I've made these twice now and the first time I didn't put enough coconut in and now they seem too dry when cooked, however when I was making them into balls they were quite moist;-( please help xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...