Friday, August 3, 2012

Homemade Salad Dressing...a time saving idea



What do you have for lunch everyday?

For me I usually try to ensure that I cook enough dinner so that there will be some left over for Abbie and I to have for lunch. I also have got into the routine of making a slow cooked meal (usually osso bucco stew) just for our lunches for part of the week (breastfeeding mamas eat a lot, as many of you would know)

Plus a salad. I love fennel, cucumber, green apple and

capsicum sliced using this fancy small mandolin I recently bought (so easy and the delicate slices make anything taste so delicious) with an avocado.

I am usually making this in between feeding Milly, trying to get the washing done, tiding the house and putting Abbie to sleep. So rather than having just olive oil, I make a batch of dressing once a week and leave it on the benchtop* for whenever it is needed.

I also make a batch of mayonnaise at the same time and keep this in the fridge for the week. Abbie calls this dip and loves to eat it by dipping in cucumber and capsicum sticks. I like to add a few tablespoons of mayonnaise into my salad with the salad dressing to make it nice and creamy. And of course super nourishing with those raw egg yolks (make sure you use organic pastured eggs to ensure maximum nutrition and freshness).

So here it is, its not really super inventive, however very delicious. No measurements as I always just wing it. Have a go and let me know what you think.

Organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
A tiny dash of raw apple cider vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
Some seeded mustard
Some raw honey


*If you put it in the fridge the olive oil would solidify and would need to come out of the fridge a little before you needed to use it.

6 comments:

  1. I'm also a breast feeding mama, and love to have a salad dressing ready too! Mine is usually what's in the fridge, but often is Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, pinch of salt and grind of pepper, maple syrup and either a spoonful of mayo or sour cream or natural yoghurt. Creamy and delicious!

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious Kylie - I forgot to note the apple cider vinegar in my recipe so thanks for your comment

      Delete
  2. yum yum, great recipe! i have all the (non-organic versions of)ingredients, will give it a go, thanks! sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe today and it is delicious. Thanks very much Natalie. I enjoy your space here...your thoughts on nutrition are interesting (especially as I'm becoming more and more passionate about it myself!) and you've got some really great ideas to share. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blush.......thank you for such kind words Nicole. Glad you enjoy my space, I love sharing my thoughts and ideas...just lacking time (I am sure you know what that's like!) ...however lots of exciting things planned over the next few months so watch this space :) x

      Delete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...