Thursday, August 23, 2012

Real Food Series: Nourishing Fish Soup Recipe




Fish stock is the basis of this dish and once made and in the freezer, means you can make this nourishing meal in about 30 minutes max. This soup is simple, nourishing and so delicious. 

Fish stock (recipe coming soon) is packed full of minerals and gelatin. I usually make my fish stock using snapper heads and bones. I buy the whole fish and ask for it to be filleted and skinned, and ask to keep the skin, bones and head. You are then able to use the filleted fish for recipes such as this soup or my Pan fried Snapper in Lemon Herb Butter (recipe coming soon).   

From the pantry
Homemade fish stock - at least 2 cups* 
White wild fish - I would allow about 100 grams per person (I like to use smoked cod or snapper)
Leeks/ french leeks or shallots (any will do)
1-2 cloves of garlic
a few stems of celery
2 carrots
1 large sweet potato
butter and/or coconut oil
200mls organic cream


Lets begin
1. Sauté leeks or french leeks or shallots (whatever you have) and celery in coconut oil and some butter. 
2. Once softened add some garlic and stir a little, however do not brown garlic
3. Add sulphite free white wine to deglaze, let it bubble and rub the bottom of pan with wooden spoon to lift any caramelisation (where all the flavour is)
4. Add fish stock. 
5. Following by adding cut up vegetables - I like to use sweet potatoe and carrot - cook until tender
6. Once vegetables tender add the chopped pieces of fish 
7. Once fish cooked through, add about 200mls of organic cream, chopped dill and parsley and simmer for a few minutes before taking off the heat. 
8. Season with sea salt and pepper.


* the amount of stock depends on how thick/ thin you like your soup - I love lots of broth so may even use more, however if you have reduced your fish stock so that it is more concentrated you can just add 1 cup and then the rest filtered water








10 comments:

  1. YUM! Thanks so much for this recipe Natalie. I am in the process of collecting the leftover fish once Cam has finished filleting so that I can make a big fish stock. I'll look forward to trying this one soon (and also the yummy looking fishing curry on the nutrition coach website).

    x

    PS. Love all your meals. We eat the same way. I slow cooked osso bucco today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean "fish curry"! not "fishing curry" oops

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nicole. Oh lucky you - fresh fish!
      I tried the curry a few months back and it was lovely - very mild (perhaps I left out chilli for Abbie) but delicious - you could sneak a little fish stock in there to give some added nutrition.

      yum....osso bucco is Abbie's favourite - so eats the marrow with a tiny mustard spoon :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try : ) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I have to cook this, Or can I just pop over? :)
    Looks absolutely scrumciously delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz.....oh well if you have me over for your chinese I'll cook you fish soup ;) x

      Delete
  4. looks really yummy. can't wait to try this recipe out. how does your two year old go eating soup? i found that jess (also two) quite liked soup when she was younger but now won't go near it. do you adjust any of the recipes in your meal plan to suit abigail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, good question. Abbie loves soup - more than anything else. When I make stew or casserole I always make sure it is juicy as she loves lots of broth. Keep persisting - they go through phases however the more you offer it the more she will eventually realise its not going away! Try giving her a straw and letting her slurp the juice up - just as a novelty to get her to realise it is super delicious!

      No I don't. I am a firm believer in children eating as we eat and getting meals packed with flavour. The only thing I would modify is reducing the chilli in a dish.

      Delete
  5. This looks so good!! I am going to cook it as soon as you share your fish stock receipe!! Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon - just posted the fish stock recipe, let me know what you think!

      Delete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...