Thursday, August 23, 2012

Traditional Food Series......



Ok so enough talking about it, here is the first list of meal ideas based on traditional foods. This is an honest list of what we eat in any given week. Recipes will continue to be added over the coming weeks and linked back to this post. Depending on your feedback I also plan to add a recipe a week or as often as I can, in addition to the list below. If you make any of the recipes please do pop back and let me know what you thought or any amendments you made. I'd love your hear about your food journey!

With all meals, try to make a larger batch so that you can freeze enough for another meal plus have some leftovers for lunch the next day.

The key to making nourishing meals (I believe) is to ensure that in addition to using fresh organic/ chemical free produce and grass fed grass finished meats, is that you incorporate a seriously under valued 'food' - homemade bone broth/ stock. If you read the article mentioned on my Jelly post you will know why, but for those that didn't......

Why incorporate bone broths and not stock cubes?   

When we eat animal proteins in the traditional ways (for example, eating fish head soup, as well as the muscles, or “head-cheese” as well as pork chops, and chicken-foot soup as well as drumsticks), we assimilate a large amount of glycine and gelatin. This whole-animal balance of amino acids supports all sorts of biological process, including a balanced growth of children's tissues and organs. 

When only the muscle meats are eaten, the amino acid balance entering our blood stream is the same as that produced by extreme stress, when cortisol excess causes our muscles to be broken down to provide energy and material for repair. The formation of serotonin is increased by the excess tryptophan in muscle, and serotonin stimulates the formation of more cortisol, while the tryptophan itself, along with the excess muscle-derived cysteine, suppresses the thyroid function.” 



Meal Ideas (recipes to come) 
Slow cooked shoulder of Lamb, potato & cauliflower gratin
Italian meatballs in passata bone broth
Lamb chops with crispy lemon zest potatoes
Minestrone Soup
Pan fried Wild Salmon or Snapper in Lemon Herb Butter
Osso Bucco Casserole
Chicken coconut Soup 


Stay tuned for more recipes.......

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, I really did join you at the perfect time. It's like you've drummed up this little series just for me! I've always believed in the whole animal approach, but I looked at it in terms of waste and what makes a nicer meal (those forgotten cuts, for instance), but I didn't know about the balance of amino acids. This is really interesting and I'm definitely going to be following this. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love forgotten cuts - usually where the flavour and nutrition are! Loving to have you following along. x

      Delete
  2. YOU are fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge N, I can't wait to see what you've got in store x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi - so are you! :) so glad I didn't frighten you away with my controversial comment!

      Delete
  3. Yum! My mouth is watering. I love seeing what other people cook and being inspired, what a wonderful series idea. I'm really excited by this, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stace! I also love seeing what others cook. I hope it is going to be useful :) x

      Delete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...