Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Celebrating spring








Captures from our playgroup spring festival. Such a beautiful morning, spent making flower garlands and a spring story, bread making and songs that are our usual playgroup rhythm.

As we worked and the children played, Ebba (our playgroup leader) explained the importance of the  whole family and all its members, as opposed to the child being the sole focus. She explained that it was important for our children to see that we too as parents 'receive' and are not just the 'givers'. For this reason both mother and child today received a beautiful butterfly from the spring tree.

A parents we are constantly giving to our children. Of course this is a wonderful thing, however often we give to avoid conflict or challenging behaviour. I know I do sometimes, even if it is not ideal. I like what Ebba is suggesting. Letting our children see that we as parents are individuals who also need nourishment - whether it be receiving a gift, some time to ourselves or eating our own meal (without someone taking the best bit!). They will respect us all the more for it.

10 comments:

  1. oh my! it looks like a simply beautiful way to spend a morning. i was thinking about this same thing this morning (about showing children that we need nourishment too). i would like for jess to see me doing the things that i love to do (sewing for example) but i find it hard not to feel guilty that it is taking away from time that she needs and whenever i do start something that i want to do she tells me to stop doing it. it is so hard to find balance for everyone's needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Natalie. It is a bit of a struggle sometimes, but it's right that they should see their parents having self-worth and self-respect. Only yesterday Luca didn't feel like napping. I said that was fine but that Mummy needed her quiet time. I feel very confident saying that I need a portion of the day to myself. Lovely last picture that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a gorgeous celebration!would you mind if I added a few of the photos to my pintrest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great reminder that parents need nourishment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful images and such an important message. We can become so consumed in providing for our children we often lose sight of our own needs. It's so very important for Mumma's to nourish their souls to. Thanks for sharing such a timely reminder and hope all is lovely in your world :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an beautiful way to celebrate Spring and to show that parents have needs too. Just lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hear hear! I listened to a talk by Ebba a few years ago about the needs of early childhood, and it still helps me now. Also she was so amazing with my highly spirited wild boy- what a blessing to spend time with her each week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to remember this, to nourish myself too.
    These photos are magical. It makes me so excited for Everly to start at a Steiner playgroup one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. It looks so lovely and magical at your playgroup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos; makes me a wee bit sad seeing such a familiar happy space that we once visited. I never saw it in Spring!! Happy to see you have Ebba, what a wonderful journey you are on. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...