Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Real Food Series: Slow Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Green Olives
































From the Pantry

approx. 1.5 kg lamb shoulder bone in 
coconut oil 
butter
2 carrots
4 sticks celery
1 leek
1 onion (red or brown)
3 cloves garlic, sliced
herbs - 1 sprig of rosemary, 2 bay leaves and some sage
200mls sulphite free white wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tomatoes, diced
300g Sicilian green olives (these make the dish)
half a bunch of parsley, chopped
grated parmasen for serving 
cold pressed extra virgin olive oil for serving
optional bovine gelatin 

Lets Begin 

1. In an enamel coasted pot, seal the lamb shoulder in some coconut oil. Once nicely coloured on all sides, remove and set aside. 
2. In the same pot, add some more coconut oil and butter and add the carrot, celery, onion, leek, garlic and herbs in the pan. Cook until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the olives, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, parsley, white wine and beef bone broth/ stock and mix for a few minutes
4. Place the lamb shoulder into the pot and cover with a lid.
5. Slow cook in oven on 100 degrees C for about 6-8 hours. I usually put it on before bed, and awake to a melt in your mouth meal that we can enjoy for lunch.  
6. Once meat is falling off the bone and super tender, remove the shoulder and set aside in a bowl. Remove any herb stalks. Get a barmix/ handheld mixer and puree everything remaining - this thickens the sauce.  Add a bit of gelatin say 3 tablespoons, just because it is so good for you. I buy mine here
7. Add back the lamb (without the bone) 
8. Serve with lots of juices on its own or with some fresh egg pasta or gnocchi, glug of olive oil and a heap of freshly grated parmasen. 


After a long chat with Emma and reading this - we aren't really fans of green vegetables in this house. I will talk more about this in the coming weeks. You could serve with some steamed zucchini (really well cooked) with lots of butter and sea salt.  I served with this lovely fruity salad - orange, cucumber, a little shaved apple and fennel, mint and coriander and my homemade salad dressing





Click below to see more from the Real Food Series




7 comments:

  1. natalie i just found your blog and am loving searching through past posts!!! i am intrigued by the nutrition series!!! i am looking for enamel cookware and was wondering who makes the blue one you use for the lamb?? also please share the color of your clay walls.... it looks soooo sooothiing!!!

    warmly,
    maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, so lovely to have you here. The blue one is le creuset. I am actually about to finish writing a post on cookware including enamel and ceramic - so stay tuned.

      I'm guessing the kitchen walls? Creme fraiche - http://www.ecoathome.com.au/Clay-Decor-Creme-Fraiche-10-Litres-706-4-119-A10/

      Delete
  2. I will definately try rhis one _ I love olives! Do you think it could be cooked in a slow cooker instead of 6 hrs in the oven? Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes could use a slow cooker. Mine broke recently and quite like using my oven as then i can use it to warm other things up.....buts thats just me as i'm always in the kitchen ;)

      Delete
  3. Natalie, I have been meaning to tell you that I cooked this a couple of week's ago, and oh it was soooo delicious! My little girl couldn't even wait for me to puree the sauce and ended up eating quite a few veggies straight from the pot before dinner - and she rarely eats vegetables! I used store-bought beef stock this time, but am looking forward to making my own before I make this dish again - I'm sure it will taste 10 times better! And I'm ordering the bovine gelatin this week too - I'm really looking forward to trying this out to see if it improves my health issues. Thank you for so much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! We just ate this for our dinner, after it was in the slow cooker all day......and oh my goodness it was fantastic!! Decided at the last minute to wip up some pasta and I'm so pleased that I did, it went beautifully together. I didn't have time to blend the sauce and it came out thick enough. Thank you so much for sharing such fantastic recipes .....we also love your 'meatballs!! In gratitude ....Davina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of the recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us at http://www.everyrecipe.com.au/ so that we could link to it.

    Everyrecipe is a search engine that compiles the best Austrailan cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and are taking benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.
    To join Everyrecipe, just go to http://www.everyrecipe.com.au/add-your-food-blog

    Cheers,
    Elin
    Everyrecipe.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...