Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Letting go






































Pictures of Abbie eating jelly and cream while playing with her dough...it gets wrapped and unwrapped and rolled and squashed. She loves searching the utensil drawer to find numerous pairs of tongs to play with. She wears oliver + s Bubble dress made by me, more about that here

"My hands were busy through the day, I didn't have much time to play..." 
(read more here)

Mum reminded me of this poem that other day while I was busy in the kitchen and Abbie was playing on her own. The words bring tears to my eyes. 

If the house is not tidy throughout the day, does it really matter? One tidy up at the end of the day will surely do, won't it? If that doesn't get done, then we can just do it together in the morning. If I only get downstairs to do one load of washing do you think it will be okay?  

I am letting go a little. Of my house being tidy; my laundry basket empty; my emails marked with replies; sewing projects completed and many other things on my list of to dos. I am making room for more time to just be with my girls. Having a tea party with Abbie or folding the washing together. Little things where the beauty is in the sharing and giving of our time.

Expecting less of myself each day, makes sitting down changing Molly's outfit for the fifth time just that little easier.

Tonight Abbie ask me to lay down beside her in bed. I was feeling exhausted after the dinner/ bath/ feed Milly routine and started to say 'Mummy has to go and start her jobs....' and stopped. I lay beside her and held her while she drifted off to sleep. 

6 comments:

  1. It's the most important thing to do. To stop to be. And the simplest pleasures come from it, but it's often the first thing to be forgotten. And it's easy to do, but we need the reminders. This is a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post, Natalie! I often stop myself in my endless day-by-day routines and spent some quiet and calm moments with my girls too... And I think many years after we'll remember these moments spending together but not our laundry baskets:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing such an important reminder. Yes the house work will wait but time will not....those babies are growing far too quickly. HOpe you're having a lovely day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post :) It's hard don't you think? If I don't do xyz, then my little girls don't get fed or have any clean clothes to wear. But if I focus too much on xyz then I will miss a childhood. I think we all struggle to balance the doing and the being. I too am learning to let go of things that aren't that important in the end of the day so that I can spend more time just enjoying my loves. xx

    PS. I have almost finished making an Oliver and S bubble dress for Skyes birthday. It's taking me ages!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nicole it's hard work! but oh so rewarding. I think its also hard because we are also so emotionally connected to these gorgeous little creatures...our children. Oooo I am looking forward to seeing what you create. xx

      Delete
  5. That is so incredibly precious. I am still learning the art of letting go...
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...