Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Real Food Series: Nutrient Rich Gravy (grain free)













When eating muscle meat, we always have a serve of this nutritious and super delicious gravy.

I started writing why and then thought, I will leave it too the experts. Emma explains here the need for gelatin in our diet.... especially at the precise time when we are eating muscle meats which contain tryptophan and cysteine. Whether you make it for its health value or not, it is super delicious.  

From the pantry:
bovine gelatin
meat of your choice (lamb chops/ cutlets/ roast beef)
homemade bone broth (I store in glass jars or ice cube trays in the freezer)
organic sulphite free red wine - I like to use Organic One
butter
a lemon
some herbs (whatever you used for your meat)
sea salt

Let's begin:
1. Start by cooking your meat - we normally eat this gravy with lamb chops/ a roast beef/ a slow cooked shoulder or leg of lamb (all cooked in the oven). Once the meat is cooked and removed from the oven, I remove the meat from the baking dish and set aside to rest.

2. In the baking dish you will either have lots of juices (if you slow cooked) or bits and pieces stuck to the bottom of the dish and maybe a little fat (say if you cooked lamb chops). Start by tipping off the fat* if you have the later.

3. Now add some sulphite free red wine (white would also work) and with a spatula begin to rub all those bits on the bottom of the baking dish. As to the amount - it really depends on how many you are feeding. I would usually add about 1/2 cup of wine if I had made lamb chops and maybe 3/4 if I had slow cooked a lamb shoulder.

4. Once they have lifted off, tip the wine (and bits) into a frypan and heat over a medium/ high heat to burn off the alcohol.

5. Add some bone broth (frozen is fine) and bring to the boil. (For four of us I would add about 1/2 - 1 cup). Throw in some herbs that complement your meat - I usually cook lamb chops with rosemary, so add a little more of this.

****If you have lots of juices from slow cooking (meat on the bone), simmer away until the liquid reduces to a more appropriate amount, depending on how many people you are feeding, no need to add more bone broth per step 5****

6. Add in bovine gelatin - I like to add at least 1 tablespoon per person, so usually 4 tablespoons - allow to bubble away on a medium heat. The longer you cook, the more your sauce will reduce. Continue to cook on low heat until you are happy with consistency.

7. Finish by adding a tablespoon of butter, generous pinch of sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. For a lovely smooth sauce, strain (I never bother unless we are having "guests"). I like to serve straight from the pan, so that I can heat up any remaining for seconds (the gelatin makes it set rather quickly I find).

If you make it, I would love to hear how it goes. Oh and make sure you taste along the way.

-----------------------------------

* even though we choose grass fed animals, the fat is where so many toxins are stored. Which is why I prefer to pour off any fat (especially with lamb chops) and add back in some butter at the end.


some more thoughts on meat........we usually eat meat twice, maybe three times a week - usually meatballs, slow cooked lamb shanks or lamb shoulder and either roast beef or some lamb chops (for which this gravy is made), however incorporate bovine gelatin and bone broth into our meals daily.   

7 comments:

  1. My husband has some trouble with his bones and joints due to preliminary arthritis. His doctor recommended eating gelatin. Now I understand why. This sounds like a delicious recipe for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious!!! Would love some of that poured over my meat any day.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is something i have wanted to put into practice for a long time now ... i look forward to reading your link and rereading this post again. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. made this tonight with lamb chops, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooo so pleased that you liked it...chops are my favourite!

      Delete
  5. can you PLEASE just come and cook for me AND educate me!?

    p.l.e.a.s.e

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to Em.....maybe you could teach me how to keep my vege patch alive!
      x

      Delete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...