Friday, January 25, 2013

real food series: cocoa crunch balls




There really is nothing nicer than being gifted homemade food, don't you think. All the time and effort  that goes into making something from scratch is really the ultimate in my books.

A dear friend made a little tub of these chocolately crunchy treats for us for Christmas and they didn't last long in our fridge.  Melissa kindly offered to share the recipe, so here it is. Now I couldn't help myself and added a little coconut oil...... given the sweetness from the medjool dates, the addition of a good saturated fat will help any major blood sugar spikes.


From the pantry:

10 medjool dates 

1 cup macadamia nuts

2-3 tablespoons raw cocoa powder

2 tablespoons of coconut oil 

3 tablespoons cocoa nibs 

vanilla bean powder or half a vanilla bean or a dash of vanilla extract

a small pinch of salt


If possible, always try to source local, chemical free or organic produce. 




Let's begin

1. Gather and prep all ingredients - including removing pips from the dates

2. Place dates in a food processor and processor until they form a paste

3. Next add in the macadamia nuts, cocoa powder, coconut oil, vanilla bean powder/extract and salt and process until you are happy with consistency. I like to leave it with a little texture (so that the macadamia nuts do not form a smooth paste)

4. Finally add cocoa nibs.  These add a really nice crunch, however if you are making for children I would leave them out (due to the caffeine).

5. Roll one heaped teaspoon into balls, place in glass jars and store in the fridge. 


If you make them, Mel and I would love to know!

4 comments:

  1. I actually bought a jar of coconut oil today so my big girl and I could make some of your bliss balls tomorrow... will definitely give these a go too, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, these look fantastic....going to try them out during the week. I'm looking for a little sweet treat to sneak in to my new eating plan, and these may just do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh tops! I've made god knows how many batches of bliss balls lately (they don't last long around here) - would love to give these a go x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, After making my 4th batch of these, I have to say that these are my favourite bliss balls ever!
    Thankyou so much

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...