A dear friend made a little tub of these chocolately crunchy treats for us for Christmas and they didn't last long in our fridge. Melissa kindly offered to share the recipe, so here it is. Now I couldn't help myself and added a little coconut oil...... given the sweetness from the medjool dates, the addition of a good saturated fat will help any major blood sugar spikes.
From the pantry:
10 medjool dates
1 cup macadamia nuts
2-3 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
3 tablespoons cocoa nibs
vanilla bean powder or half a vanilla bean or a dash of vanilla extract
a small pinch of salt
If possible, always try to source local, chemical free or organic produce.
1. Gather and prep all ingredients - including removing pips from the dates
2. Place dates in a food processor and processor until they form a paste
3. Next add in the macadamia nuts, cocoa powder, coconut oil, vanilla bean powder/extract and salt and process until you are happy with consistency. I like to leave it with a little texture (so that the macadamia nuts do not form a smooth paste)
4. Finally add cocoa nibs. These add a really nice crunch, however if you are making for children I would leave them out (due to the caffeine).
5. Roll one heaped teaspoon into balls, place in glass jars and store in the fridge.