Thursday, August 22, 2013

real food series: Rustic Strawberry & Apple Crumble


Rustic Strawberry & Apple Crumble
I made this today to use up some strawberries that were rather bruised and on there way out. It was delicious - I hope you enjoy it too. I have not included the exact measurements as it is rustic crumble and can take whatever you want to throw at it. The only thing I will say is start soaking your oats at least a few hours beforehand. Overnight would be great!

let's begin:

SOAK two handful of oats in some milk & lemon juice (about 3/4 cup of milk…you don't want the oats swimming, however you want enough so that they can absorb the liquid)
- - - - - - 
SIMMER slices or chunks of apples and a punnet of strawberries in a heavy bottomed saucepan with a few tablespoons of butter
SPRINKLE with a tablespoon or two of sugar and continue to simmer gently over low heat with the lid on, removing it every now and then stir, until the fruit is soft.  
COMBINE a teaspoon or so of ground cinnamon, a small handful of sultanas, a handful of desiccated coconut, 1/4 cup cane sugar (more or less to taste) and 4 tablespoons of melted butter, with the oats that have soaked.
POUR stewed strawberries and apple into a baking dish and top with the crumble (the crumble will be gooey, like a bircher muesli consistency) 
BAKE in moderate oven (180'C) until browned and your kitchen smells of strawberry jam.
....to ensure all the topping is well cooked I like to gently mix just the crumble at least once while in the oven, so it is all nice and crunchy. Enjoy with scoops of homemade vanilla ice cream.  





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, going to make this. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have just found your delightful blog! What a treat! I have two little girls and they are Steiner kids too. I look forward to following your adventures.

    Tarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie, I made this tonight. It was delicious :) I was just saying to Cam as we were eating it that I seem to refer to either Stephanie Alexanders cookbook or your blog for the best recipes...so I'm looking forward to your cookbook coming out...so very exciting! Nicole xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...